XboxHacker BBS

Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2016, 10:26:39 AM

Pages: 1 2 »

Author Topic: Heatsink upgrades  (Read 14084 times)

xDREAM

• Master Hacker
    • View Profile
Heatsink upgrades
« on: July 14, 2006, 02:58:25 PM »

Hey

Just installed heatsinks om my ram units and put ac5 on both the gpu/cpu. Had to cut the gpu heatsink alittle =)

EDIT: What are those small resistors? on the back of the gpu i broke one off but it works fine?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 03:02:46 PM by xDREAM »

Oneohm

• Master Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Heatsink upgrades
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 11:38:54 AM »

Why not put a heat pad under the GPU heatsink to supplement the memory? The little "resistors" are actually decoupling capacitors.

Has anyone run across a replacement or upgrade GPU heatsink?

gigabite

• Xbox Hacker
  • .: Xplode Mods :.
    • View Profile
    • Xplode Mods
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 04:18:53 PM »

I was looking for replacement heat sinks on eBay, I found CPU one and GPU one but no "new" GPU heatsink being sold

gigabite

.ISO  - he's a wannabe ... feel part of "t3h sc33n" yet ? QQ

coming 2009

Protonus

• Master Hacker
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »

For anyone thinking of doing this, I do NOT reccomend it.  A much better idea is to put thermal gap filler material between the ram and the GPU heatsink like they do under the board for the RAM. You're reduced the mass of the heatsink which reduces how much heat it can absorb and also it's surface area which reduces how fast it can bleed off that heat. 

While you have your xbox apart though I would highly reccomend extending the shroud over the GPU heatsink, and doing the air shroud divider as RJB tech designed, these mods work wonders.

gigabite

• Xbox Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Xplode Mods
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 04:30:24 PM »

I actually found the when I "extended" the fan duct/tunnel things got much more hotter (DVD drive noticeably...hot)...on my set up (i've had my 360 for about 4-5months now...brand new...from stock to modded///was on stock everything untouched for 2 minutes literally) I have (this is what I have found to work best - cooling wise):
12v Tailsmoon Fans (I ran a test, they are actually noticeably more quieter)
12v 40mm Fan on the CPU
12v 20mm Fan (Xbox 1) under the DVD drive
Ceramique` (better than As5, exact same guys)
Now if I feel around everything even after 6-7 hours of play it's not blisteringly hot it's toasty..

gigabite

coming 2009

Oneohm

• Master Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 04:20:41 PM »

I actually found the when I "extended" the fan duct/tunnel things got much more hotter (DVD drive noticeably...hot)...on my set up (..........gigabite

What do you mean by extending the fan duct? The description sounds like the mod I made up but with different results. Can you provide a pic?

gigabite

• Xbox Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Xplode Mods
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 05:54:00 AM »

By extending the fan duct I mean shaping a thin layer of metal so it covers the GPU heatsink and connects to the plastic of the fan duct...what Protonus said
extending the shroud over the GPU heatsink, and doing the air shroud divider as RJB tech designed
...picture:
http://rbjtech.bulldoghome.com/photos/BDRES/rbjtech_bulldoghome_com/xbox/cooling/image009.jpg

But instead of paper, I used metal

gigabite

coming 2009

Protonus

• Master Hacker
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 04:10:41 PM »

LoL well there is your problem! No wonder you're releasing more heat upwards into your DVD drive etc!  Metal conducts heat, paper etc is an insulator!  I made my fan shroud divider and my shroud extension, out of plastic.  for the extension I used a CD Jewel case I cut up.  For the divider I used a thick transparency plastic (as my fan shroud is clear and I have a window).

With these shroud modifications the system runs much cooler and I'm noticing LESS heat radiated into my DVD tray when I eject it.  So switch your extender to plastic or cardboard or something that doesn't conduct heat.

You can verify the large increase insuction over the heatsink with a match / cigarette lit at the front edge. Without the shroud extension, the bottom of the DVD drive IS the shroud extension... but because it doesn't rest right against the heatsink it is a poor air guide and allows for a lot of turbulence and loss of suction over the heatsink.

lasonnette

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 04:50:05 PM »

EDIT: What are those small resistors? on the back of the gpu i broke one off but it works fine?
they are capacitors...
well according to giggle, it should solve the 3ROD problem :P
Big party tonight! Where? Your mouth! Who's coming? Everybody!

eel

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 09:54:13 AM »

i just used cardboard and indead the dvd drive was alot cooler then without the shroud modification.you need to divide the two fan's in the back, there is so much sucked trough the cpuheatsink.
Had two rrod 360's that i couldn't fix, they kept coming back.With the shroud modifications and the gpu fan on 12v they work great, now problems.the air that flows out of the back is much hotter.so there is more cooling going on.
My only problem with this mod is when you turn it off, with a shroud on the heatsink it is unable to dissipate it's heat.so after a long session of gamen you'll have to set it in his dashboard for a minute or 2 (still 38 degrees).there is a mod on rbjtech site to modify(9v battery  :-\) your fan's to let them run a little bit longer after you turn off your xbox 360.maybe somebody can figure out a way with a usb device.you'll notice when you leave your usb controller loader in the 360 won't shut off completely.it keep on charging your controller and still let the fan's run.When you pull out the usb loader it will shut down.somebody an idea??usb stick with a 555ne chip.

eel.

lasonnette

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 11:28:41 AM »

you could put a bunch of super-caps in parallel to the fan...
or maybe make a timer which triggers at shutting down the xbox...the 360 has stand-by power (5V)
Big party tonight! Where? Your mouth! Who's coming? Everybody!

Protonus

• Master Hacker
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 02:12:42 PM »

you'll notice when you leave your usb controller loader in the 360 won't shut off completely.it keep on charging your controller and still let the fan's run.When you pull out the usb loader it will shut down.somebody an idea??usb stick with a 555ne chip.

Hmm that's good info.  I'll have to look into that! 
I just bought an "ECASO BOX" kit for $10 from mwave, it's a kit that's deisgned to allow you to run your system fans after shutdown on a PC using the ATX power connector etc. it's very complete with lots of wires etc, but it will have to be modified to work or fit in a 360. If I can do it, it'll be a cheap and easy way to get 2 minutes of fan time post shutdown, without building a timing chip or adding a battery like RJBtech did. RJBtech rules and I gotta give him props for giving me the idea to think about using this kit to do this. 

I'll post up a tutorial here if it works. I'm banned from xbox-scene (I tried to help someone with RROD issues and they misunderstood and banned me and my IP), so f*** that site, i'll share it with ya'll :-P

TeckniX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 03:54:44 PM »

or you could buy a cheapo turbo timer for cars - and wire it to a constant 12v ;) lol

Oneohm

• Master Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 08:07:25 AM »

By extending the fan duct I mean shaping a thin layer of metal so it covers the GPU heatsink and connects to the plastic of the fan duct...what Protonus said
extending the shroud over the GPU heatsink, and doing the air shroud divider as RJB tech designed
...picture:
http://rbjtech.bulldoghome.com/photos/BDRES/rbjtech_bulldoghome_com/xbox/cooling/image009.jpg

gigabite

I do a lot of reflows on these consoles. My boss actually wants me to invent or find a better heatsink for the GPU since MS came up with that new Foxconn heatsink for the GPU.

I did a similar mod using "metal repair tape". Its interesting that you guys are exploring similar ideas.
 The idea I had was that the DVD drive was being used to duct heated air into the fan shroud but there is still a gap there so air from the sides of the console can just flow in from the the underside of the drive and enter the shroud at any point rather than truly flow over the heatsink. The microcontroller on the DVD drive can generate some significant heat but I found the console would tend to heat it up more. I had a theory at one point that made me believe this added heat would cause the DVD RF Amp and microcontroller to fail earlier than expected but never cared to prove it.

I see an advantage to adding the tape to the sides of the CPU heatsink. Can you confirm that the GPU is getting hotter by having this mod on it?

Heres is some thoughts. I want to try these out:
What if you connected a voltmeter to the fans with and without the mod. Does the fan voltage levels increase/decrease?
Has anyone checked the CFM out of the fans for an increase or decrease with the mod?
Has the temperature level increased in the console as a reult?

Oneohm

• Master Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 12:33:43 PM »

Just an FYI,
Opened up a B4J-00107 HDMI unit today and found the revised heatsink and the 65nm GPU.

Heatsink part number X807082-003. This time they didn't label it as the same part number as the original like the repaired consoles I have seen.

GPU X810480-001

safety

• Master Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 04:31:28 PM »

Just an FYI,
Opened up a B4J-00107 HDMI unit today and found the revised heatsink and the 65nm GPU.

Heatsink part number X807082-003. This time they didn't label it as the same part number as the original like the repaired consoles I have seen.

GPU X810480-001

65nm gpu?
Could you..  tell me where do you know it is 65 nm?

Oneohm

• Master Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 05:05:19 PM »

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2007/09/microsoft_smuggles_65nm_inside_1.html

It is actually the Halo 3 console I have torn down. There is a new mainboard in it similar to the Elite board but with new test connections like j7G3 located directly behind the front power/wifi board. I linked the news posting above which confirms what I'm looking at.

Here is a comparison shot:
On the left is the original 90nm and the right is the 65nm.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:22:16 PM by Oneohm »

gigabite

• Xbox Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Xplode Mods
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 05:13:17 PM »

right so I am guessing the one on the left is the old 90nm ones and the one on the right is the 65nm one (so you can identify it by, looking for epoxy and more surface mount capacitors in the bottom right hand corner)...will be getting a new pro today, wonder if it will have 65nm GPU..who knows who cares

gigabite

coming 2009

Oneohm

• Master Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 05:22:53 PM »

True. A 45nm chip is coming out sometime early next year.

Arakon

• Administrator
  • Xbox Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 09:23:26 PM »

there's no 65nm GPU yet, that's just a small revision that is still in 90 nm.. and look at the date of that article, it's from september. the heatsink that is different is on the CPU, since that is actually 65nm.
I do NOT give support by email, PM, ICQ or whatever. Anyone annoying me that way will have his balls removed. With a rusty butterknife. Slowly. And I'll enjoy doing it.
Pages: 1 2 »