XboxHacker BBS

Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2016, 11:21:11 AM

Pages: 1

Author Topic: x-clamp turorial failed any help is apreciated  (Read 3434 times)

maany

• Hacker
    • View Profile
x-clamp turorial failed any help is apreciated
« on: February 27, 2008, 01:20:16 PM »

i tried this turorial on the 4th xbox 360 today it worked for the rest

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm

it failed for one but there is 2 things i have not tried which is to overheat it as it says at the bottom of tutorial but (does this have any side effects)

also i have been told to cut a shim of a old heatsink or buy aliminium sheet cut it into rectangle shape so it fits under the cpu could this help?

as i dont want to easily give up

any help is apreciated

thanks
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:59:20 PM by maany »

gigabite

• Xbox Hacker
  • .: Xplode Mods :.
    • View Profile
    • Xplode Mods
Re: x-clamp turorial failed any help is apreciated
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:01:20 PM »

I will make a tutorial very soon on how I do it (works every time) - but in the meantime...the overheating thing does not have any side effects....but doesn't do anything either - the box shuts off at 70 degrees....70 degrees isn't anywhere close enough to melt solder underneath the package (which is the idea) - don't use a shim (at this point looks like you need to re-flow all you BGA's)...I recommend :

* Heat gun (warm the board up for 2 min on 350 degrees celcius, then 600 for 2 min, then drop back down to 350 for 1 min...then 150 for 30 seconds) - properly means top and bottom evenly...not sitting in one spot otherwise you will kill it and this also means using aluminum foil...have a look at TMF's video

* Clean your CPU and GPU properly, apply AS5 etc

* Drill your holes in the grounding shield/cage - after give the top and bottom holes a quick sand...brush away any metal obviously

* Put your screws in and tape them all (no washers yet)

* Put 3 metal washers on each screw

* Put your motherboard on top - put your clean heatsinks on and screw them just so they don't fall off

* Put in all your mobo screws - tighten your heatsinks evenly -

* There should be 2 metal washers on top of each other's gap under all corners of the GPU screws - and 1 metal washers space under all screws of the CPU heatsink

* Put your fan and air tunnel on, power on and enjoy green :D (if you follow the first step properly..that's the major step)

Yes (Arakon and others - no offence) 600 degrees celcius is alot, and yes...the heat gunning is NOT for n00bs but that is the temperature needed to properly re-flow the CPU or GPU

gigabite

.ISO  - he's a wannabe ... feel part of "t3h sc33n" yet ? QQ

coming 2009

Arakon

• Administrator
  • Xbox Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 12:35:00 AM »

You said before that the solder will get more brittle the more often you do the heatgun fix. guess why.
600 is WELL beyond the temperature needed and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was hot enough to damage the structure of the solder itself.
I do NOT give support by email, PM, ICQ or whatever. Anyone annoying me that way will have his balls removed. With a rusty butterknife. Slowly. And I'll enjoy doing it.

gigabite

• Xbox Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Xplode Mods
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 04:19:09 AM »

Well you should only do the heat gun fix once...because of the intense heat produced by the 360 the solder gets hot and cools rapidly, increasing the point it takes to melt (we all know this) - BUT - if you think of it this way 600 / 2 = 300....you could think of it like this, pre heater and top heater (which is what you would use if you were doing it professionally and re-balling it)  As for damaging the structure of the solder (yes it's lead free...different mix) I highly doubt it cause it's under a package though you could be right I dunno...350 vs 600 is that you know your not just warming up things...you know you are melting the solder and it is definently re-sticking back to the pad (that's my take on it all)- the comment I forgot to add is that you (maany) should also run your fans at 12v - 2 ways of doing this:

Cut the + wires of your fan and solder that to 12v

OR

make 2 bridges with some solder (thanks grim):

gigabite

coming 2009

maany

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 11:17:46 AM »

Thanks ill try the heatgun trick and see how it goes and thanks for replying but i wodnt want to get banned of live as i read it somewhere if your xbox 360 fan is wired to 12 you will be banned of live but i will sure try the heatgun fix but am unsure to puut it to 600 or 350
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:27:47 AM by maany »

gigabite

• Xbox Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Xplode Mods
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 04:13:02 PM »

The 12v mod will NOT get you banned on LIVE (hacked fw...no matter what type...WILL, I know for sure)...this was a stupid little "theory" invented by someone - belive me...you will NOT get banned for doing the 12v fan mod (the fan ups it'self to 12v anyway naturally....think about it, why would you get banned for your Xbox 360 becoming hotter???) - as for 350...or 600...if you really know what yoru doing and understand how it works and WHAT to do go 600...if you don't know lots, then go 350 - less chance of killing it (use aluminum foil...you MUST watch TEAMMODFREAKz "how to repair 0102" video - just for the heatgun part)

gigabite

coming 2009

maany

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:18:04 AM »

Thanks gigabite have purchased a heatgun should be here today or tomorrow k i will try the 12v fan mod see how it goes but first will wait for heatgun thanks for all the help gigabite think you should create a tutorial could help lots of people

Gigaah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »

Just a side note on the heat gun temperature settings. I've used a pyrometer. My heat gun set to 550c only reads 350-400c at 4 to 6 inches distance. this was aiming the heat gun on the pyrometer until the temp stabilized...so gigabite setting  the heat gun at 600c and using his method probably just gets things the right temperature. If you have a gun set to 350c you probably never actually re flow the solder thats UNDER the bga...maybe if you do a looong sustained blast directly to it. Thats my guess.

Currently I've been using a large electric griddle (walmart or ebay for about $30) I set it to 200c(400f). I preheat the board for 10 minutes. Then With my heatgun set to 550. I Blast each chip directly for 15 seconds. I'm still working on this method. I have a few junk boards I need to practice on so I can see how long it takes to actually reflow the solder under the bga. I  suspect I need to do it longer because the chip its self shields a lot of the heat from the solder. Once I get exact temperatures and times I might do a tutorial that involves the griddle and setting the heat gun with a cheap cooking thermometer.

Gigaah

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:52:29 PM by Gigaah »
Pages: 1